Wednesday 8 September 2010

Wednesday Words

BBC 1995 production of Persuasion
"All the privilege I claim for my own sex (it is not a very enviable one; you need not covet it), is that of loving longest, when existence or when hope is gone."
Anne Elliot in conversation with Captain Harville
(Persuasion by Jane Austen)

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years & a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you."
Captain Frederick Wentworth in a letter to Anne Elliot
(Persuasion by Jane Austen)

One of the best lines ever in a novel or film, "You pierce my soul."

If you are a Jane Austen fan, BBC production fan, Period Drama fan or in fact just a good film fan, do yourself a favour & get a copy of the BBC's 1995 production of Persuasion starring Amanda Root as Anne Elliot & Ciaran Hinds as Captain Frederick Wentworth. In my opinion it is the best adaptation of a Jane Austen work by far as it does not "pretty" up the actors nor the costumes. It is a grounded & more realistic portrayal of the people and times of Jane Austen. One of my all time favourite films.

"You pierce my soul." I swoon!

Sandy K
[above image via Amazon]
Related Posts with Thumbnails